A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Ancient Artifact Review 89 : Antique Malay Muslim Kukor Kelapa ( Coconut Grater) 19th Century



 This is a very interesting coconut grater called kukor kelapa from Malaysia. It was used predominantly by the Muslim Malays in Malaysia to grate coconut flesh. The body of this Kukor was made of wood and beautifully carved in floral motives. Motifs of foliage and floral were used as Islam prohibits using animal motifs.
This kukor is probably from 19th Century.

Compare this kukor with a simple foldable kukor below :
Foldable Kukor

Specification :

Item : A Coconut Grater ( Kukor Kelapa)
Dim : 500mm x 150mm
Material : Wood
Design : Floral Motives
Origin : Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment